Saturday 24 January 2009

Patch of the Day - Quad Event Timer



This patch was inspired by the Plan B Triple Event Timer and marks a bit of a departure for me: it was realized using the Clavia Nord Modular 2 Demo.

I tried the M17 years ago but couldn't get my head round it at the time. However, my last PotD featuring the A-143-1 showed the limitations of using fixed comparator timing/ threshold levels. The spacing between events is always absolute, rather than relative.

I tried Doepfer's A-167 Comparator, which is a fine module and actually more flexible than a single M17 output. However, to emulate the functions of the TET, you'd need three of them. Before building my own quad comparator using Ian Fritz's LM339 design, I wanted to try out the musical applications of such a module and that's where the NMG2 came in.

Here's what it sounds like:



I used a VC ramp to determine the timing/ spacing of the four events and fed the EG with a negative pitch CV. As you can hear, the result is similar to the effect of a sampled phrase: the relative spacing remains intact despite the change in speed/ pitch.

Here is the NMG2 patch.

No comments: