Tuesday 18 November 2008

Oscillator Orgy!

What a week it's been. First I get my AFG back from Livewire, then I finally get my hands on a Cwejman VCO-6 and yesterday Tiptop Audio's Z3000 arrives at Schneidersbuero.
Oscillators. They're like buses...



There's been a lot of hype surrounding the Z3000, so I was keen to hear it for myself. I'll let the dust settle on my first impressions before posting the full test, but for starters here's an 'amuse-oreilles' :


Tiptop Audio Z3000 Demo

Apologies to Tiptop for the picture - I couldn't resist!

I'll also be posting an AFG vs VCO-6 clash-test. These two oscillators, while having completely different designs and concepts cover remarkably similar ground. Seems to me, that if you were currently in the market for a new high-end Eurorack oscillator, these would be the main contenders: at roughly the same price, both offer linear as well as exponential FM and some form of über-PWM.

This is what you can expect:


AFG vs VCO-6 Demo

One final teaser: I think I've cracked the secret to the AFG's Anti-Matter outputs. I'll post the full patch details, with sound examples and oscilloscope shots, along with the VCO test.

Till then, happy patching!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bin mal auf den Test gespannt

RussMa said...

really enjoying these VCO demos Nav!! Thanks very much

Anonymous said...

How did you got the Z3000 to HYPE?

Navs said...

Thanks Russ! They're fun to do and the results are always surprising.

@Anonymous: I photoshopped it. I tuned the Z3K to 8888 Hz, photographed it and then deleted the bits I didn't need. Wonder if there are some other hidden messages in there though ...